Reboot the Noggin - Inquiry and Curiosity

"My favorite words are possibilities, opportunities, and curiosity. I think if you are curious, you create opportunities, and then if you open the doors, you create possibilities." Mario Testino

Teaching and learning in a fast-paced Advanced Placement Curriculum can be a grind. I'm not complaining, this is just a simple fact. Every educator faces challenges on a daily basis regardless of the course or grade level. This post is about stepping away from the daily grind to engage your students outside of your daily curriculum and objectives.

6 to 8 times a year the students and I engage in what I affectionately call a "Reboot the Noggin" Activity. These activities take many forms, but most typically they are HyperDocs. I love creating these because it gives me a chance to learn and explore something other than Technology or Environmental Science. I also sometimes use these to experiment with a new resource or website. 
Most of my students enjoy the chance to explore something that will not be part of an upcoming assessment. We sometimes even have some fun as we explore and discover new stuff and pathways.

My next Reboot the Noggin is about curiosity. 


(Planned as a break between 2 big units on Energy and Pollution.) 

If you are curious, here are the two other Reboots from this year. (I am a bit behind this year and I'm not sure if I will get more than five done this year, I've just not found the opportunities.)


(Collaboration activity that I used the first week school. The instructions and solutions are in this Slide Deck.)

(We completed this after Holiday Break.)

If you have a favorite resource or activity to engage students in a similar way, please share in the comments below?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts