Have you started a countdown to summer break? How will you grow as a teacher and learner this summer?
Teachers work hard. Many of us work too hard. We do deserve a break. We deserve to escape our scheduled lives this summer. It is ok to disconnect and take a break during the summer, but the best educators are life-long learners. They do not spend the entire summer disengaged from learning.
How will you recharge this summer, but still find the time to grow as a teacher and leader? This post has some tips and resources to support educators as lifelong learners this summer.
Attend a Local ConferenceFind at least one conference this summer to attend, learn, and make new connections. Maybe even challenge yourself to present somewhere? If you can't attend, mark your calendar and jump into the Hashtag during the conference. Here are a few local conferences I will be attending as both a learner and a facilitator.
Enroll in a Face to Face or Online ClassSometimes it is important to become a student again and engage in a curriculum lead by another educator. The type of class doesn't necessarily matter as long as you are learning something new. One of my favorite experiences as an adult learner has been the EdTechTeams Teacher Leader Cohorts. I am even jumping into the Teacher Leader 2 Course this summer. Here are some great online courses you might want to explore.
- 18 Challenges for Teachers in 2018 Online Course
- Google Certified Educator Academy (Level 1)
- Google Certified Educator Academy (Level 2)
- EdTechTeam Flexible Online Learning for Educators
- More ShakeUpLearning Online Courses with Kasey Bell
- EdtechTeam - Zero to Ninja Online Course
- WickedEdTech Future Ready and the 4 Cs Flipped PD HyperDoc
- Hive Summit - Free Online Education Summit
- ISTE Certifications
Make Connections & Share Ideas
- Share Your Why! - Teaching and Learning Flipgrid (Password: ShareYourWhy)
- 10 Great Hashtags Educators Should Be Exploring
- Innovative Educational Organizations to Follow on Twitter
- Personal Learning Networks - The Power of Collaboration
- 25 Innovative Educators to Follow on Twitter
Read a Book Connected to Teaching and Learning
Educators are writing some incredible books. Find a book that catches your interest and explore. Here are a few resources to help:
- Book Recommendations for Innovative Educators
- 10 Great Education Books for Summer Reading - by Matt Miller
Explore Blogs Connected to Teaching and Learning
- The 2018 Honor Roll: EdTech's Must-Read K-12 IT Blogs by EdTech Magazine
- 50 Fabulous EdTech Blogs to Follow by Eric Curts
- 12 (More) Fabulous EdTech Blogs to Follow by Eric Curts
- Growing a PLN - ISTE Blogging Buddies
- Innovative Educational blogs for Inspiration & Motivation
- My BFF Melissa Wilson has committed to blogging this summer. Please explore What's Up Wildcats this summer.
Bonus: Find a good Podcast, Listen and Learn. Matt Miller has a great list of Podcasts under number 3 in this post.
What summer learning tips do you have for educators?