Let's Start the Year with One Word

"I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes. Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're doing something." Neil Gaiman

I am curious!

How will you start the new year with your students? Will you jump right into the content? Reflect on the break or the year that was 2018? Will you do something fun? Will you take a risk and try something different?

Last year I was inspired by Sean Fahey to use a #OneWord Challenge as a hook for a HyperDoc that reflected on 2017 and moved us into 2018. This post shares some details and a link to the Hyperdoc that we used last year.


This year I am going to welcome my students back with a bigger focus on choosing One Word as a focus for 2019. Here is the HyperDoc I will be using. 



If you would like to create a copy for your students, click here and then click on "Use Template". The only thing you need to change is the link to your own Padlet.
I also think it is important for educators to have a word that will define 2019. What will your word be for 2019? Would you consider sharing it in the comments below or on Twitter with the Hashtags #OneWordEDU and #ShareYourWhy.
My word this year will be "Risk". I am going to challenge myself daily to step out of my comfort zone and do something different. I believe that taking risks and maybe sometimes failing will help me grow as a learner, a teacher, a leader, and a person.

Special Thanks to Lisa Highfill for putting together this Wakelet with some additional #OneWord HyperDocs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts