National Poetry Month Resources

April is National Poetry Month, 30 days of celebrating the joy, expressiveness, and pure delight of poetry.

Launched by the Academy of American Poets in April 1996, National Poetry Month reminds the public that poets have an integral role to play in our culture and that poetry matters. Over the years, it has become the largest literary celebration in the world, with tens of millions of readers, students, K–12 teachers, librarians, booksellers, literary events curators, publishers, families, and, of course, poets, marking poetry's important place in our lives. In 2021, the Academy of American Poets looks forward to celebrating the twenty-fifth anniversary of this annual celebration! (Source)
I work with instructional technology and I teach high school science so I am not a regular user of poetry, but I do love exploring creative works of art. I do think there are many great resources that can be explored by all teachers and students to make connections to poetry. Today I wanted to share some digital poetry resources shared by our LMC Directors, our English Department, and my PLN.
I use "The Road Not Taken" with my students at the start and at the end of the school year. It is a discussion starter for how we will learn and then it becomes a bit of advice as my students leave at the end of the school year. 

We also enjoy some brain breaks a few times a year with Verse By Verse, Verse by Verse is a generative Google AI that connects students with historic poets to create new poems. 

Book Creator is  hosting a Poetry Competition that could be worth exploring. Book Creator is an amazing resource for teachers and students. 

Additional Poetry Resources
What resources or activities would you recommend to encourage students to explore poetry? Please consider sharing in the comments below. 

1 comment:

  1. Great info! I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have.
    AI-powered Task Management

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts