Neurodivergent Resources for Educators - Did You know April is Autism Acceptance Month?

Spring is a great time to learn & explore something new!
April 24th, 2023

If you’ve followed my blog over the last several years, you might remember that I occasionally create challenges for myself to explore, learn, and share what I discover. Last December, I challenged myself to explore 24 Days of Teaching and Learning Resources.

My challenge for April is to explore something new each day and share what I discover. Hopefully, I won't let you or myself down! (April Challenge Update Doc)

Over the weekend I set aside some time to reflect on my IDEAcon notes. I spent the most time exploring some of the ideas and resources shared by Jordyn Zimmerman. Learning about Jordyn and her journey was a highlight of the conference.

As a nonspeaking autistic person who was denied access to effective augmentative communication until she was 18, Jordyn Zimmerman has personal experience challenging the educational status quo, which is featured in the 2021 documentary, This Is Not About Me

This morning I opened my email and one of the first messages was from my friends at We Are Teachers. I subscribe to the "Daily Update - Secondary Edition" and the feature today was "Autism Acceptance (not Awareness) Month".  It seems like the world is trying to tell me something, it's time to explore autism and resources to support neurodivergent learners.

I have to admit that I am a little disappointed that I waited until April 24th to explore resources to support neurodivergent humans. I have personal and professional connections to neurodivergent humans, making this a topic I am very passionate about. 

The term “neurodivergent” describes people who process information and behave in a way that differs from the actual or perceived norms of a particular culture. It is a way to discuss diagnoses, such as autism, in a way that does not frame it as a problem or an illness. Source

First, I want to note that neurodivergent learners are amazing people. Sometimes we just need to find the right connections. Jordyn's story is just one of many amazing stories I've explored highlighting amazing people. 

Have you ever listened to Ethan Lisi speak? This video reminds me to always be patient with all learners. 

I wanted to start with a collection of videos and resources that I hope will bring increased understanding and support for neurodivergent learners.

  • The Nora Project - The Nora Project trains and coaches educators and offers a suite of SEL programs that dive deeply into the concepts of empathy and inclusion, explicitly addressing disability and difference as a part of human diversity. 
  • 30 Quotes from 30 People with Autism - Collection of quotes from autistic speakers and learners. 
  • Autism Speaks - Autism Speaks is dedicated to creating an inclusive world for all individuals with autism throughout their lifespans. They do this through advocacy, services, support, research, innovation, and advances in care for autistic individuals and their families.
  • Kerry Magro - Dr, Kerry Magro is an award-winning national speaker and best-selling author. Kerry has become a role model in the disabled community. Non-verbal at 2.5 and diagnosed with autism at 4, Kerry has overcome countless obstacles to get to where he is today.
  • Autism Awareness - My YouTube Playlist - Amazing people telling amazing stories (Warning: This playlist may inspire smiles and maybe a few tears.)
  • 23+ Best Autism Resources for Educators - We Are Teachers collection of books, strategies, courses, and more.
  • Color the Spectrum - Fundraiser hosted by Mark Rober and Jimmy Kimmel on  April 30th, 2021
Books by and for Neurodivergent Learners
Additional Resources 
Do you have favorite resources or stories connected to autism? Please consider sharing in the comments below. Before you leave, be sure to view one more awesome video. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts