Picture Book Collection Connected to Equity, Empathy, and Kindness



Padlet Collection of Picture Books for Teachers and Learners of All Ages

A few months ago I started to put together a collection of picture books to engage students of all ages in essential topics and skills. I even use some of these books with my High School Environmental Science Students. With the help of my PLN I explored a variety of books and create categories to have a some sense of organization. You can learn more about my first attempt in this post which includes a link to the updated Padlet Collection. Today I am writing about my second attempt at learning as I update and add a new category. 

Earlier this week I was exploring some educational resources and posts connected to equity and the "Black Lives Matter Movement" and I realized that while the collection of picture books has a Diversity Category it didn't have a category for Equity. I am almost ashamed that this wasn't something I explored before now. I am working now to share some books that I think should have been there from the start. 

I wish I new more about equity. I don't have the life experiences to truly understand racism and discrimination, so I needed to rely pretty heavily on my PLN and my research skills to start recommending books for this category. I hope I am not too far off with some of the books I am adding. Please let me know if there is a book that I should add or if you feel there is a book that shouldn't be there.


What would you add to this collection? 

On a related note, I discovered and ordered this awesome Kindness T-Shirt as I was exploring some new books. I love that the shirt also emphasizes a diversity message. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts