Brain Breaks and Bell Ringers - Engage Students with Local Trivia and More

I have always been a proponent of the power of brain breaks for students. These can be connected to a curricular area or just plain fun. Brain breaks should be part of every teacher and student's toolbox. 

One of my favorite brain-break ideas is to share and explore local trivia. Today I wanted to share a few trivia resources and a Midwest Trivia Set created with Gimkit. I am also a big fan of using trivia as a bell ringer question posted in Google Classroom or in a Slide Deck. 

If you have been a reader of my blog, you know that I teach science and that I am also my school's Instructional Technology Coordinator. In my somewhat busy life, this is the best of both worlds. I get to practice what I preach.

One of the tools we are exploring this year is Gimkit. Gimkit is a game show for the classroom that requires knowledge, collaboration, and strategy to win. During our PD sessions, our staff will be competing to be the master of Midwest minutiae. Our goal is to model the student side of some of the game modes. We also hope to have a little fun and share some fabulous prizes. 

Gimkit is designed to be live or it can be assigned as homework, but I can't run a live game asynchronously for anyone exploring this post. It can be connected to run as "homework" in Google Classroom in game mode. For anyone reading this post, the best I can do is share a "practice" session.

Midwest Trivia Practice Mode

If you want to try some of the game modes feel free to make a copy of this Kit or any other Kit available. Gimkit has a great search feature that helps educators find, copy, and edit kits for just about any topic you might need. 

Additional Gimkit and Classroom Gameshow Resources

I've also been exploring Pear Deck Giant Steps as another formative tool. I shared a public copy. I don't see a way to share this directly, so if you are curious you will need to Sign Into Giant Steps and search "Illinois Trivia Challenge" in the "Shared Libraries". 

More Trivia Resources

Additional Brainbreak Ideas

Let me know what you think? Also if you have a favorite Gimkit to share or questions please share them below. #HappyLearning

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts