Reflecting On Another Year of Blogging - It's Not About the Tools or IS IT?


I love Twitter and for a while, it was all I needed as an educator and a learner outside of my school. I eventually realized that it was hard to say and see everything I wanted to in a medium that moves so fast., for this reason, I started to blog a few years ago with two goals in mind.
  • The More You Share The More You Learn! #CanIGetAWitness
  • I Am A Reflective Learner And Blogging Is One Way To Reflect On My Teaching and Learning Experience. 
I've tried to come up with a consistent theme for my blog this year, but I still don't know that I have found a niche for my blog. Maybe it is because there is not one thing that I am great at? Jack of all trades, but master of none? 
I do have a couple of fundamental beliefs about teaching and learning that hope show up somewhere in most of what I share.
  • The word technology cannot be separated from teaching and learning anymore. The legacy of going to a computer lab to use tech needs to die. Like it or not, technology is deeply ingrained in almost every aspect of our lives. 
  • You must start exploring why you are doing something before looking at how you will get it done. If I don't know why I am doing something connected to teaching and learning, then why would I still do it?
  • When I get it right, this quote is the absolute truth.
    "Pedagogy is the driver, technology is the accelerator" - Michael Fullan
  • Content has its place, but learning can't just be about content. I think of my content as a tool to support the development of essential skills for students. 
  • The best educators are facilitators of learning. They are not the source of all knowledge in a classroom. Student-centered engagement is not easy, but it is the best way. 
  • Everything is a remix. We can't stand alone, we must collaborate to help all learners grow. 
Looking back, I realized that One Thing has changed for me this year. I used to believe that everything I did needed to start with good pedagogy before the technology should even be mentioned. I realized this year that sometimes it is ok to start with an EdTech tool or resource. Sometimes starting with the tool leads to some incredible and innovative lessons and activities. Does it make sense to say that EdTech is my muse?
Sometimes it is ok to put the cart (Technology) before the horse (Pedagogy) as long as you know that eventually, the horse needs to take the lead if true change is ever going to get rolling. 
I'd love to know if any of my posts that focused on a particular tool or group of tools inspired something awesome in your school? Please share in the comments below or using the hashtag #ShareYourWhy.

Here are some of the top posts this year connected to some of my favorite tools that I use with students and educators. Do these posts inspire you to do something new with your students? 
What's next for the blog . . .

We will be doing a 12 Days of Techmas series of posts starting on December 25th. The idea is to share some tech tools that might inspire some innovative teaching and learning. Look for us to get started on December 25th. (I do have a few guest bloggers booked.) 

In 2017 I reflected on the posts that received the most hits, and I plan to do the same thing at the start of 2019. Stop by sometime after the 12 days of Techmas to learn more.


I hope you find and share your why in 2019. Happy Holidays!
The More Your Share The More Your Learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts