Adjusting To Working at Home - Tech and Home Office Tips and Resources


I've been working at home for almost two months now and I've begun to think about what I need to efficiently work at home. Today I wanted to share the top 10 things I think every home office should have to maximize the space. 



A Wireless Mouse
A good wireless mouse is a must. I actually purchased a mouse that works with my Chromebook and my Laptop. I like this mouse because it works with Bluetooth, USB, and Type C connections. I can switch from device to device with just a click on the bottom of the mouse. 


A Good Microphone or Headset
There are quite a few reasonably priced microphones and microphone headset combos that are great for creating videos of participating in video chats. This is one of the best inexpensive USB microphones in terms of recording quality. I've tried a few Bluetooth microphones, but I keep coming back to this one.




The Right Lighting for Recording
Ring stand lights for recording are a great way to optimize the lighting if you are recording something for families or students. There are quite a few options that you can explore. This is one of our favorites.


Cell Phone / Tablet Stand
There are quite a few different stands for tablets and phones that can be used in a variety of ways. Some even rotate so that the device can serve as a document camera

Quality Speakers or Headphones
I personally prefer a nice Bluetooth speaker over headphones. I use my speaker for music, podcasts, webinars, and of course all of those Zoom meetings. There are quite a few reasonably priced speakers on the market and this is the one that I currently love. 



I also have an Echo Dot that I love and we have a nice Sonos One speaker in our living room. 

External Webcam
Most laptops have built in Webcams and many of these work very well, but in some cases an external webcam is a more adaptable option.

Wireless Mesh Network
We are rarely home alone or may want to work in the backyard or somewhere that isn't right next to our wireless routers. There are many great wireless extenders and mesh network tools. Orbi by Netgear is the best one I've had in my house.


Blue Blocking Glasses
I spend more time staring at a screen than I should. I still do my best to get up and move often, but I think these glasses really help reduce my fatigue. I also like to think they make me look smarter during video chats.


Laptop Stand
I would love a standing desk, but these are a bit out of my price range right now. I recently purchased an ergonomic laptop stand and I love it. I use it in my office and all over the house. 


One of my friends also recommended this stand

Something for Quick Notes or Sketches
Everything can't be digital all the time. I've always been a big fan of Rocketbooks for notes or sketches and I recently added a small dry erase pad and I love it.


Essential Oil Diffuser for Aromatherapy
I know many people like candles, but I absolutely fell in love with essential oil diffusers a few years ago. I love that I can choose different scents to influence my goals or mood. Make sure you get a nice selection of oils to go with your diffuser. 


More Lighting
There are quite a few great lighting options for an office. I am lucky to have some natural light and a dimmable ceiling light, so I've added something unique to bring some mood lighting to my space. I don't know if this has any real health benefits, but I like the color. 

Some Greenery
Add a bit of extra Oxygen to your space. What could be better than a Palm Tree. I also have some Live Bamboo Plants. They are supposed to be good luck. 


A Task Timer
Sometimes I need to set a timer to remind myself to take a break and at other times I need to set a timer to remind myself to stick to a task without distractions. 



Additional Resources
What is a must for your home office? Please share in the comments below. 

2 comments:

  1. I have to have two monitors! The bigger the better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love two monitors. That is what I have at school. At home I am relying on two different devices side by side. Not as nice as two monitors, but I am adjusting. I may at some point decide to spend the money on a monitor at home.

      Delete

Popular Posts