Tuesday Tip of the Week - Setting Your Default Font in Google Docs

Last week I shared a tip about Page setups in Docs and Slides. This week it will be all about setting the default font for your normal text.

The default font for Google Docs is Arial. and the default size is 11. 

Neither of these is a favorite of mine and I really hate changing these everytime I create a new document. I've changed my default font for all new documents. Right now, I've set my default font to Open Sans and my default size to all 12. I like change so I can't say that I won't change to something else soon. (I was a Georgia guy before I switched to Open Sans.)


Here are the steps to set the default font for all your Google Documents in the future. (This will not automatically change existing Document fonts.) 
  1. Create a new document or go into a current document with the formatting you want.
  2. If it is a new document, set the font and size in the editing menu. Type a sentence with the new font settings. 
  3. Highlight some text that is set up with the font you want to set as your normal default. 
  4. Go to Format > Paragraph styles > Normal text.
  5. Select "Update 'Normal text' to match."
  6. Next, go to Format > Paragraph styles > Options.
  7. Select "Save as my default styles."
  8. You can also follow the same steps if you want to set default Title and Heading styles. 
Next week I will share how to set your normal text, titles, and heading styles so that they match throughout a document. 




Popular Posts