12 Days of Google Tips - Day 1: Quickly Create Text Hyperlinks in Docs and Slides

Tis the season of giving and I've been inspired by my PLN and a certain holiday song to share some Google Workspace Tips that I've either discovered or rediscovered in 2021. To be precise, the plan is two share 12 Google specific tips in addition to any other posts I am inspired to complete during the month of December. I will link other 12 Days of Google posts at the end of this post for your reference. 

My first tip - Links in Docs and Slides. I'm not just talking about copying and pasting. Have you seen how quickly you can insert and clean up links in Google Docs and Slides?

I recently discovered that at some point Google updated hyperlinks in docs and slides, so that with a simple click, the full link becomes linked text.

Have you ever opened a Doc and seen this?  I don't know about you but this just drives me crazy. I know it gets the job done, but it just doesn't look right to me.

With a few clicks and some copying and pasting its never been two hard to edit the links to make them look like this, but it does add time to getting it down.
 

In a recent update Google has made it even easier to paste a URL in a Doc or Slide and quickly change it to traditional text with just a single click. Check this out. It's almost magic?


Here is a quick summary of the process.

1. Copy the url from a website.
2. Create or open a Google Doc or Slide Deck
3. Paste the link (Ctrl - V). You might need add space after pasting to make the link live
4. Click on the live (blue) link and a dialog box will open.

5. Choose "Yes" and the long URL will be replaced with a linked title.


If you create a lot of Docs and Slides with links, think about how much time this will save you! 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. I noticed this morning that we now also have the option to choose whether we want it to be a "chip"or a "link". Both are SO much better than the visible URLs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. agreed...and thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts