12 Days of Google Tips - Day 2: Organizing Chrome with Bookmark Folders and Bookmark Editor

Tis the season of giving and I've been inspired by my PLN and a certain holiday song to share some Google Workspace Tips that I've either discovered or rediscovered in 2021. To be precise, the plan is two share 12 Google specific tips in addition to any other posts I am inspired to complete during the month of December. I will link other 12 Days of Google posts at the end of this post for your reference. 

My second tip is really two tips for the price of one, both connected to Chrome bookmarks. I wanted to share the power of folders in the bookmark bar to better organize the sites you use the most. I also want share how to edit bookmarks to save space and maximize how many bookmarks you can access quickly. 


I am a bit ashamed to admit that I let me bookmarks get a bit out of control over the last several years. Recently, I was reminded how creating folders in the Chrome Bookmark Bar is a great way to stay organized and reduce some of the hassle of finding the bookmarks I use the most often. 

Creating Bookmark Folders
  1. Right click anywhere on the bookmark bar.
    (If you can't see the bar, click on the 3 dots in the right corner of Chrome and go to the Bookmarks menu to "Show bookmarks bar')


  2. Choose "Add folder..." and a window will open to create a folder. Name and save. If you want this folder to be in the main Bookmark bar, but sure to highlight "Bookmarks bar" before saving. You can always drag it where you want it after creating. 


  3. Left click and hold the folder to drag it to any location on the bar. I have my main site folders that I use all the time near the start of my bookmarks. Clicking on these folders will open a drop down of the sites saved to these folders. 


  4. Existing bookmarks can be dragged to these folders and new bookmarks can be added to the folders when they are created. 
Editing Bookmarks
I am all about saving space on my Bookmark bar so in addition to using folders, I like to edit the names of the bookmarks. Often, I only need the site icon. How many of these would you recognize without the name?
 
You can also just shorten the names to save space if the symbols are not enough.
  1. Right click on any existing bookmark and a menu will open. Choose "Edit..."


  2. This will open up an edit box for the bookmark.


  3. Delete the full "Name" to just have the symbol, or delete part of the name to reduce the space that the name uses in the bookmark bar. Click save to finish. 
Bonus
You can also manage folders and bookmarks by clicking on the 3 dots on the upper right and choosing "Bookmark manager" (Ctrl+Shift+o) in the Bookmark menu.

All the 12 Days of of Google Posts

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts