Resources to Celebrate Computer Science and Coding in Every Classroom

"Very few people grow up to be professional writers, but we teach everyone to write because it’s a way of communicating with others—of organizing your thoughts and expressing your ideas. I think the reasons for learning to code are the same as the reasons for learning to write. When we learn to write, we are learning how to organize, express, and share ideas. And when we learn to code, we are learning how to organize, express, and share ideas in new ways, in a new medium." Mitch Resnick

I am always reminded how important it is to bring some computer science / coding concepts into every classroom every year during Computer Science Education Week (CSEdWeek).  Running from December 6-12th, CSEdWeek can inspire students to learn about computer science in fun and engaging ways. 

Today I wanted to share a few resources, lessons and ideas connected to the idea of bring coding into ever classroom.

Google Applied Digital Skills
I wanted to start to share what I think is the easiest way to bring coding into any classroom. The Google Applied Digital Coding Collection will help your students develop digital skills and learn some basics of computer programming. 

Why Coding?
While I think coding can be part of most classes multiple times a year, the Hour of Code believes that all it takes is an hour to ignite a future of possibilities! 

There are quite a few great posts, articles, and resources connected to the value of coding. Here are a few that I enjoyed exploring connected to the why behind coding in education.

What Resources Exist to Support Coding in Schools for Teachers and Students?
There are quite a few great coding sites to support teachers and students. Here are a few that might be worth exploring.
I know there are many other great coding resources and if you are looking for something more, Common Sense Media also has a great list of coding apps and websites. 

Coding With Robots?
I've visited a few Makerspaces and I love some of the creative things that students are doing with coding and robots. Here are a few coding robots that might be worth exploring.
I also put together this document as I explored Makerspaces. 

Coding Without Devices?
There are also some great resources to learn about coding that don't require a device. Here are a few that might be worth exploring.
What Books Support Coding in Education?
I wanted to wrap this up with some books that that might be worth exploring. 
I know many educators are miles ahead of my exploration when it comes to coding. Please feel free to share resources and ideas in the comments below. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts