Common Sense Education - Amazing Resources for Teachers, Students, and Families

Spring is a great time to learn & explore something new!

April 26th, 2023

If you’ve followed my blog over the last several years, you might remember that I occasionally create challenges for myself to explore, learn, and share what I discover. Last December, I challenged myself to explore 24 Days of Teaching and Learning Resources.

My challenge for April is to explore something new each day and share what I discover. Hopefully, I won't let you or myself down! (April Challenge Update Doc) 

Today I am taking a deep dive into the resources on Common Sense Education. There is a lot to unpack and explore! 

I've used Common Sense's "Apps and Websites for Learning" frequently over the years to explore new resources for teaching and learning. They have some amazing curated lists and it is a great space to start learning about an App or a Website you discover on social media or at an educational conference. 


Common Sense Education Essential Resources 

I know I could spend days exploring the site and still find something new, but I am going to focus on 3 resources I explored. I hope these have some interest. If I am taking you down the wrong path, I highly recommend taking a look through the menus to see if there is something you want to explore?

Talking with Students About Shocking or Disturbing News - Age-based tips and lessons to help students process upsetting events. There are some great tips and ideas to help educators engage students in discussing world events. My exploration focused on some of the secondary resources, including: 

  • Hoaxes and Fakes: Learn about identifying fake images, videos, and other synthetic media online.
  • Challenging Confirmation Bias: Help students learn to recognize their own biases when viewing news or searching for information online.
  • Clicks for Cash: Help students consider how clickbait headlines affect how we read and interpret news.
  • Filter Bubble Trouble: Show students the ways that social media algorithms feed us what we want to see.
  • We Are Civil Communicators: Teach students to keep disagreements civil so everyone's ideas can be heard.

SEL in Digital Life Resource Center - Support your students' social and emotional learning as they navigate the digital world.

The resources here are broken down by grade level. I again focused my exploration on secondary resources. 

There are some amazing tips and activities connected to each of these topics. I love the "Who Are You on Social Media?" activity. I think both students and adults could benefit from this type of reflective activity.

Training Course: Teaching Digital Citizenship - Prepare your students for success as digital learners, leaders, and citizens, and create a road map for teaching digital citizenship in your classroom. In this one-hour interactive training, you'll learn the six core concepts of digital citizenship and explore how you can integrate Common Sense's curricular lessons into your classroom. Educators who complete this course will earn a certificate of completion. The training also counts toward earning the Common Sense Educator badge.

So much amazing in one place! I want to be a Common Sense Ambassador! The challenge will be waiting until June to apply! I also still have a lot of exploring to do! #AlwaysLearning

A Few More Highlights From My Exploration

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts