Slow Reveal Graphs and Data Is Beautiful

Spring is a great time to learn & explore something new! April 16th, 2023

If you’ve followed my blog over the last several years, you might remember that I occasionally create challenges for myself to explore, learn, and share what I discover. Last December, I challenged myself to explore 24 Days of Teaching and Learning Resources.

My challenge for April is to explore something new each day and share what I discover. Hopefully, I won't let you or myself down! (April Challenge Update Doc)

I am always looking for new ways to engage students in thinking critically about graphics. Today I am exploring two resources connected to exploring graphs, "Slow Reveal Graphs" and "Data is Beautiful". 

Slow reveal graphs are a teaching strategy that uses Google slides to engage students in a discussion. They are a great way to encourage students to make observations and wonder about data. Slow reveal graphs start with a graph that has been stripped of all data. The teacher facilitates a discussion and each consecutive slide reveals additional information. Students are engaged in critical thinking as they ask new questions and revise their conclusions with each new slide.


Educators can search for graphs by topic on the "Home Page", or explore different types of graphs and categories on the "Classroom Resources" page. 

Educators can also subscribe via email to receive notifications of new resources. 


Data Is Beautiful is a YouTube with over 70 videos and counting. Each video is centered on a topic. There is a wide range of topics that cover a range of different years.

  • Most Popular TV Series 
  • Best-Selling Music
  • Biggest Companies
  • The Richest People in the World
  • Global Energy Product
  • and much more.

The videos start with a bar chart connected to the topic. For example, "Most Popular Music Styles 1910 - 2019". The bar charts will change over time as the data changes. One an plan to use with my students is  "World's Biggest Food Franchises (1950-2020)". We will make predictions, pause at various points and make observations as we cheer for our favorites!

Additional Graph and Data Exploration Resources

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts