Google Fact Check Explorer and Google Search "About This Result"

Spring is a great time to learn & explore something new! April 11th, 2023

If you’ve followed my blog over the last several years, you might remember that I occasionally create challenges for myself to explore, learn, and share what I discover. Last December, I challenged myself to explore 24 Days of Teaching and Learning Resources.

My challenge for April is to explore something new each day and share what I discover. Hopefully, I won't let you or myself down! (April Challenge Update Doc)

Last week one of our LMC Directors (Carrie Ory) asked me about some of Google's Fact Check Tools and Google Search's "about this result feature". Today I wanted to share my exploration and some additional digital literacy and fact-checking resources.

This is both an educational story and a personal story for me. I've been exploring digital literacy with my students for the past several years. I also have a close family member who frequently states "facts" connected to trending political stories with some bias. My family member rarely fact-checks the stories, so I am always trying to research some of the claims. 

Google Fact Check Explorer

"These tools allow you to search for stories and images that have already been debunked and lets you add ClaimReview markup to your own fact checks." (Google News Initiative)

The Google Fact Check Tools Lesson is a great resource for students and teachers to get started exploring Google's Fact Check Tools.

  • Google Fact Check Explorer
    • The "Explore" allows users to search for fact checks about a topic or person. For example, if you search "Joe Biden" a list of recent fact-checked stories will be available. 


Google Search "About This Result"

In honor of International Fact-Checking Day, Google announced Five new ways to verify info with Google Search

  • About this result
    • Wherever you’re searching, you’ll see three dots next to most results on Google Search. Tapping those three dots gives you a way to learn more about where the information you’re seeing is coming from and how our systems determined it would be useful for your query. With this context, you can make a more informed decision about the sites you may want to visit and what results will be most helpful for you.
  • Perspectives (At the time of this post, I was not seeing this feature.)
    • This carousel will appear below Top Stories and showcase insights from a range of journalists, experts, and other relevant voices on the topic you’re searching for. This feature will give you a variety of noteworthy voices on a news topic, complementing the trustworthy reporting you already find on Search to help broaden your understanding.
  • About this Author
    • Now when people tap on the three dots, readers will be able to find more information about the background and experience of the voices we surface on Google Search.
  • There are some additional features including "Save", "Share", Remove Result", and more in the "About this result" window to explore. 

Additional Digital Literacy Resources

Visit the blog tomorrow for something new or follow along in this document.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts