The Learning Network - New York Times Teaching & Learning Resources

Spring is a great time to learn & explore something new! April 14th, 2023

If you’ve followed my blog over the last several years, you might remember that I occasionally create challenges for myself to explore, learn, and share what I discover. Last December, I challenged myself to explore 24 Days of Teaching and Learning Resources.

My challenge for April is to explore something new each day and share what I discover. Hopefully, I won't let you or myself down! (April Challenge Update Doc)

Today I am exploring the New York Times Learning Network. I've used "What's Going on in This Picture?" and "What's Going on in This Graph?" with my students for several years. I've not made the time to explore the rest of The Learning Network resources. That changes today! Today I am going to share a summary of the free resources for teachers on The Learning Network

Wow, there is a lot to explore! Here are 5 highlights that I think are worth exploring today! I will also provide a short summary of the other amazing features after the 5. 

What's Going On in This Picture?

Intriguing Times images stripped of their captions -- and an invitation to students to discuss them live.

This resource is not new to me, but I didn't want to skip sharing it. It is one of my favorite resources to get students to ask questions and make observations.

What's Going on in This Graph?

Graphs, maps, and charts from The Times -- and an invitation to students to discuss them live.

This is another resource that I've used and will continue to explore with students.

Film Club

Short documentary films and related discussion questions.

I have not used this feature, but I see some amazing short films that I know will inspire questions and discussion in my classroom. 


Student News Quiz

10-question interactive quizzes to test and challenge students' knowledge of current events. 

This is a great resource for current events and exploring our world. I think this would be a great tool to engage students in class discussions. 


Picture Prompts

Accessible, image-driven prompts that invite a variety of kinds of writing.

If you know my blog, you know that I am always searching for and using visuals with my students. I've long believed that exploring and creating visuals is a great way to activate critical thinking. 


I still have a lot to explore on the site.

Searchable Lesson Plans and Teaching Ideas by Subject

There are also two additional categories to explore, "Lesson Plans" and "Teaching Ideas".

In addition to "Student News Quiz", this section includes "Word of the Day",  "Vocabulary Quiz", and "Geography Quiz".

In addition to the amazing "Picture Prompts" are "Student Opinion Questions" and "Current Events Conversation".

The New York times also hosts a range of creative contests for students. 

A huge collection of video resources for students and teachers. 

There are also brief introductory tutorials for all of the resources on the Learning Network YouTube Page. 

Learning Network Tutorials Playlist

How will you use The Learning Network with students? Please share your thoughts in the comments below. 

Visit the blog tomorrow for something new or follow along in this document.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts